Well Beauties, yours truly is having a moment. A moment I gotta say something and those who know me know I gotta say it. I gotta.
Lately, I don’t know if has to do with my age (gonna be 44 in August) or my lack of a uterus (haven’t had to pay that monthly bill in over 7 years) or if it is as simple as I have a low, very low tolerance for bullshit, but I seem to have no room for those who lack accountability for their actions, nor do I have any room for those who are unkind.
Working in a Salon, you hear it all. You hear about the celebrations of life, the trips, the new house and births. You hear about the not so good stuff, illnesses, divorces and deaths of which I have all the patience and time in the world to listen to. Where my attention begins to dwindle? When lack of kindness and accountability enter into the conversation.
A few weeks ago a woman and her friend came in the shop and she was complaining that her fiancée got upset that she took out her phone as he was proposing. “I wanted to capture the moment for my Instagram and he got mad at me! He actually asked me if I could wait until he finished the question. Can you believe it?” …that he continued the proposal? (gotta admit, that was what I was thinking). She was actually mad at him. She kept going on about how he ruined the memory. Yep. He and he alone ruined it. I just stood there, trying not to show it on my face. This woman was so caught up in herself that she couldn’t see her part in any of it, well, except for her Instagram pic. She later complained that it wasn’t fair that her favorite OPI shade had been discontinued and got mad at me that there wasn’t anything I could do for her. …by the way, her phone never left her hand and with every third word spoken, her eyes looked at her phone. …sigh.
I get the importance of social media and the lure of smartphones. I am a blogger, a Retail Consultant and a Salon manager so I get it, I do. I also get that as important as they seem, there are other more important things in life, like my loved ones, being kind, being present.
Being me, I have compiled a little list for you all, some daily reminders if you will. Feel free to share – no pun intended;
- before you tell a story, be sure it is yours to tell
- when you hurt someone’s feelings, apologize, to their face.
- when someone is speaking to you, put down your phone and look at them. They are speaking to you, not texting you, there is no need to look at your phone.
- not everything needs to be shared. I am so pleased your toddler pooed on the potty…didn’t need to see it on my timeline.
- it is not the salesperson’s fault that your favorite polish is discontinued.
- when you are getting your hair cut, put down your phone. You may not realize it, but when you text, your head moves.
- do not take a selfie during your bikini wax. #toomuchinformation
- if you wouldn’t chase someone down the street asking if they like your picture, it shouldn’t matter if they like it on facebook
- life is not “unfair” because your fiancée wanted to share the proposal with you, and you alone.
- you may like to crush candy, others do not. Please stop sending candy Crush invites
- if you don’t want the opinions of others, you may want to rethink ending your post with #whatsagirltodo
- you do not have to agree with everything you read and see on social media…you also don’t have to let everyone know that you don’t agree
Look up once and a while. Think before you post. Ask before you snap a pic. Be kind, plain and simple.