Gather ’round Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, it’s time for the annual Christmas edition of That girl in the red coat’s Tales of Truth. It is only the 2nd day of December and some strange happenings have been going on. I know there is such a thing as Christmas spirit…I do believe that it has more to do with too much consumption of Christmas spirit. …wait for it….there you go.
– The phone rings. I answer with my standard greeting only to hear “Yeah, Hi. Do you have my favorite Shampoo in stock?”. I ask “Which Shampoo are you looking for?”. “Oh, come on! You know which one! I am in there all the time. You know me and I know you remember. Just put one aside and I will see you later.” then she hung up. …I am still wondering if she came in….
– This year, many of the Christmas packs come with a free hairspray or styling product. I had a very irate woman demand why the Christmas pack she wanted didn’t come with the hairspray she prefers. When I explained I didn’t know why the company chose that specific hairspray, she told me that if I was a better manager, I would find out. …I can honestly say, I just stared at her for a minute.
– We have a return policy at Christmas that as long as the package is not opened, the product may be returned/exchanged for another product after Christmas. I spent 15 minutes explaining why I cannot take back a hairbrush after it has been used, to which my customer answered “How am I to know if it’s no good if I can’t try it?”. So, again, I explained about health codes, etc. and asked her if she would want to buy a used brush to which she said “No, I wouldn’t, but maybe someone else would.”. ….sigh
– During the Christmas season (and all year through), when a customer or client spends more than $75.00 we offer a free product with their purchase. I do not advertise I do this. I think it’s a nice surprise for them. I had a woman refuse her free retail size bottle of styling product because it wasn’t advertised and she didn’t want anyone thinking she stole it.
– I have had to remove the complimentary product from a Christmas pack because a woman thought her friend didn’t deserve a free hairspray since getting a shampoo and conditioner is enough. …the only thought that went through my head… “paging Dr. Seuss”
– At our shop, every month we have a monthly draw. Anyone can enter, no purchase necessary. During the month of December, we have weekly draws. As I was ringing through a customer’s purchase, one of my regular customers came in to fill out a ballot – she was in the neighborhood and knew our weekly draws had begun. After she left, as I handed my customer her purchase and her receipt, she told me that she should be allowed to fill out two ballots since she bought something. She didn’t think it was fair “that other lady” got to fill out a ballot and didn’t buy a damn thing. …I found myself wondering if she was related to the lady mentioned above.
Well my Beauties, it is the 2nd. of December and a full moon is on it’s way, so I am pretty sure I can promise some more Tales of Truth are on their way.