Today’s tale is for my Beloved Beauties of the industry, for the Stylists, the Salon Managers and the Salon Owners. As October draws to a close, the ever present Holiday season is peaking over the horizon. Myself, I have been thinking about and planning for the Holidays since August. Before you ask, no, I do not have a Christmas sweater on, nor do I have the Jingle Cats as my ring tone. I have been thinking about and planning for the Holidays for the shop and for the Salon, hopefully you have too. I cannot stress this point enough – Retail is a vital part to any Salon, not only for the profits – for client retention. Trust me, I know of what I speak. At least once a week one of our retail customers becomes a client of our Salon, because we offer an array of products and different product lines, we offer our time to explain the product they are purchasing and we take the time to show how to apply the product…the Salon they used to go to does not.
The Holiday Season is the best time of the year to introduce some retail items to your Salon or to add to your existing retail line up. All the companies offer great Holiday packs with HUGE savings to the customer/client and to the Salon. The perks of offering retail during the Holiday Season ;
– Many holiday packs come with a free sample size of a new product – A terrific way of introducing your clientele to a new product.
– All holiday packs offer a HUGE savings, some up to 40% – another great way to introduce your clientele to a new product line. * ( offering your clientele a savings can help alleviate their worry of spending too much)
– Holiday packs are a great introduction to your clientele to show them the difference between Professional Salon products and the products they find at the local department/drug store. It helps your clientele realize the worth of spending a few extra dollars year round for great hair.
– Offering retail to your clientele helps them to achieve Salon results at home. Their hair will be more nourished and in turn more appointments will be made, because your clientele will know that you care about how they feel about their hair, and that you care about how their hair looks in between appointments.
– Holiday packs are great for those last minute gift idea’s. *Husbands/Partners LOVE them – takes away all the guess work about what to buy. (…and the product is prepacked – no worries about a box or bag).
– Flat Irons and curling irons are always on sale in November and December, in turn you can retail them at a lower price than suggested retail. Explaining to your clientele the difference between Professional styling tools and those they will find at the local department store will make the sale – honestly – telling them that they can have the same curls at home or the same sleek straight hair at home with the tools you sell – they will buy them.
– Speak with your reps. Many times they are able to give you a holiday pack free of charge that in turn you can offer as a draw to all your clientele and customers. Every December our shop offers weekly draws every week until Christmas – Always a hit!
Now, before you get all “What about after the holidays? What do I do with all the leftover packs?”. Well, first of all, if you are promoting the products with every client and customer, you shouldn’t have many left. For those few packs that are left over, an alternative is to separate the product and put each separate bottle on sale of a few dollars less then regular retail. Your clientele and customers are still receiving a savings and your Salon is still making a profit.
A Salon that offers retail will; increase the retention of existing clientele, increase their walk-in traffic and become more profitable, plain and simple. How do I know? I see it happen every day. I do it everyday. Retail, when truly embraced by all in the Salon, can cover all the expenses of the Salon – rent, utilities etc… . Again, I know of what I speak. I do it everyday.
Retail at the Holiday season (and all year ’round…had to add that ) helps the Salon and helps the clientele, it truly can be the gift that keeps on giving.
2 thoughts on “The gift that keeps on giving”
Thats true…. 🙂
Thank you 🙂