It’s Monday. It’s January. The February “blahs” are just around the corner. The view from my window…snow storms are threatening, skies are cloudy, the gleaming white snow has lost it’s sparkle and lays there, dull and grey. Before you pull down the shades and crawl back under the covers, I have a little something to help add a pop of color to your daily life and remind you that Spring will rise from her Winter slumber soon enough. Let me introduce you to Joico Color Butter.
From pink to purple, red to blue, Joico has created a color for you. Joico Color Butter allows you to try the vibrant shade you have always wanted, without the commitment! The color lasts up to 10 shampoo’s. Joico Color Butter is the perfect product to touch up vibrant ends, or to restore your existing vibrant shade until your next Salon visit. Here’s a few key features of this FAB! product;
- Joico Color Butter is a nourishing color treatment. Yes. I said treatment. Color Butter both moisturizes and strengthens the hair. *Reduces breakage up to 44%.
- Joico Color Butter is free of peroxide, ammonia, MEA and PPD.
- Hair is instantly more vibrant and strong with healthy and glossy strands.
- Washes out in 10 shampoo’s *Depending on the porosity of your hair.
- The perfect product to refresh existing semi permanent pastel/vibrant colors.
- ALWAYS wear gloves and cover your clothing to avoid staining. If you happen to spill a little, wipe off counters and floors as soon as possible to avoid stains.
- best results are on pre-lightened hair.
- for a pastel/lighter effect, apply to damp hair. Leave on for 5-15 minutes, then rinse. You can follow up with a shampoo – Joico Kpak Color Therapy is suggested.
- for true vibrancy, apply to dry hair. Leave on for 5 – 15 minutes, then rinse. Follow with Joico Kpak Color Therapy Shampoo.
- for bolder results – apply Joico Color Butter 2 -3 times. *always rinse and blow dry in between each application.
Visit http://www.joico.com for more information on Color Butter. Their FAQ sheet answers any and all questions, for stylists and their clients alike.
I know there are many of you out there who scroll through Instagram or Pinterest and vibrant hair color peaks your interest. I also know many are fearful of the commitment to color and worry about the judgement that may follow. Thanks to Joico Color Butter, you can have commitment free color. Who knows, you may find that you can’t stop smiling at your reflection. You may find yourself hearing “I love your hair” as you are in the produce aisle. Take a chance. Try something new. …you know what they say… Everything is better with butter.
This morning, did you find yourself looking at your reflection and your dry tresses, wondering where the shine and vibrancy of your color went? Did the thought “I wonder if I could pull off a pixie cut?” pass through your mind because you felt there isn’t anything to help your hair and return it to what it once was. Well Beauties, do I have news for you. There is a new kid on the block and it will become your new bff! The Beauties at Joico have created a real gem. Let me introduce you to Kpak Color Therapy Luster Lock!
INSTANT Shine and Repair Treatment!
Luster Lock offers a FAB! glow, shine and vibrancy to your color treated tresses. It is formulated for all hair types, from fine to thick. For blondes, brunettes, highlights, lowlight, ombres…you name it…Luster Lock rejuvenates any color, all the while boosting your hair’s strength to make it 9 times more resistant to breakage. *For this non-blonde blonde, let me tell you, it’s like the heavens opened up and the angels began to sing!
With it’s formulation of nourishing Manketti oil and Argan Oils Luster Lock repairs and seals the hair’s outer protective layer to lock in color vibrancy. Silk, soy and seaweed extract help to add some slip to prevent damage during styling. Luster Lock offers two application choices;
- apply to dry hair as a pre shampoo treatment for that extra boost of repair and protection.
- apply to clean, damp hair. Leave in for a minute or two, then rinse with cool water. Dry and style as usual.
Myself, I prefer the old fashioned application on clean, damp hair. Luster Lock brightened up my magenta, added luster to my blonde and did not weigh down my fine tresses in the least. I found my hair to feel softer and my flat iron glided with ease. (Those of us who like to play with our color know all to well the tug/skid feeling we can get from our flat iron).
So, before you pick up the pair of scissors closest to you or call your stylist to book an inaudible hair appointment, save yourself some grief and your stylist nightmares from hearing the sobs through the phone and go get yourself some Luster Lock. I promise you, you will not regret it.
“My stylist said I should use a volumizer.”. “My stylist said that my hair needs a treatment.”. “My stylist said I am using the wrong hairspray.”. These are a sampling of the phrases I hear on a daily basis, more then once, from women and men who have just left their stylist’s chair and have come to see me at our Salon/shop for their hair products. Many times they look confused and more often than not, they look and feel insulted. They have just been told there is a problem with their hair, or the products they are using and were not given a solution. After discussing what it is that their stylist said and more importantly, after I ask them what they think and what they want, I hear an even more common question… “Why didn’t my stylist tell me that?”.
Over the years I have realized one constant in our industry, a key component to any Salon visit is being neglected. Retail. Retailing the products that we use to help achieve our client’s new found love of their hair. Products that we use to keep the vibrancy of their color and the integrity of their hair. Letting your client leave without the proper products and tools to keep the love affair with their hair alive is, well, mean. Yes, mean. Think about it. Your client leaves your chair feeling prettier or more handsome (cannot forget our gents). They have a spring in their step. They are walking with more confidence. They like their reflection. Then the next day, as they are standing in their bathroom trying to get their hair to look as good as the day before, their self confidence begins to fade and they begin to feel stupid. Not giving your clients the proper products, tools and instruction is literally pulling the rug from under them. No one likes to feel like the butt of a joke.
- First and Foremost! ALWAYS ask what products your client is using at home.
- when washing your clients hair and you realize that they need to use a clarifying shampoo, explain to them what a clarifying shampoo is and why it should be used.
- bright and vibrant colors are huge right now. For your clients with multi tone brights, explain the importance of how to wash their hair, that each color should be washed separately for the first few washes so that the colors do not start to bleed together.
- when discussing the need for a conditioning treatment, explain what that is. Many times the women I have spoken to thought that they were supposed to leave the treatment in, which in turn made their hair look and feel worse than when before using it.
- explain to your client that a volumizing shampoo and conditioner are a good start but if they want height and volume throughout their hair, styling products must be used. *Trust me, I know of what I speak. Many women I speak to thought that they were doing something wrong because the shampoo wasn’t making their hair look like it did at the Salon.
- if your client has poker straight hair, let then know that a shampoo for curly hair will not make their hair curly.
- when using mousse, explain the importance of shaking the can and dispensing it upside down. *That Girl in the Red Coat tip – explain it’s like using a can of whipped cream – if not shaken and dispensed upside down, nothing happens but a great big mess.
- explain the difference between the hold factors of the hairspray you are using. If your client doesn’t want to fuss with her hair throughout the day, that soft hold factor spray she picked up at the drugstore is probably the culprit of her bad hair days.
- for your clients that use their flat iron on a daily basis, explain the importance of thermal protectant sprays. They should be used every time the flat iron is used. Every time.
- if you see you client is dealing with dandruff, instead of just pointing it out, explain different ways they can apply shampoo to their scalp and offer them a Salon professional dandruff shampoo to use at home. *Most brands offer a dandruff/scalp shampoo, you just have to ask.
- when it comes to waxes and pomades, find out if your client likes a matte finish or prefers a little shine, what kind of hold they prefer and explain the difference.
- always show your client how to use the products. How to dispense them, how to apply them and how much to use.
- show your client that every bottle has directions on how to use the product on the back of the bottle, in case they forget.
Ask your client how they want their hair to look. Ask them if they like to blow dry their hair or not. Ask them if they use a flat iron or curling iron. Ask if they have a water softener. Ask them if there is anything about their hair they would like to change. Asking these questions opens all the doors to understanding your clients needs and wants and in turn, the doors to selling them what they need for their hair are opened too.
Retailing products, tools and giving instruction on how to use said products is a key component to any consultation/appointment. Plain and simple. Your clients are your advertising, they make or break your business and your reputation. If your client only likes themselves, their hair and you while they are sitting in your chair, pretty soon they will looking for another chair to fill.
Here we are again Beauties, it’s Monday. The sun is shining yet many I have met this morning are glum. Spring has finally sprung yet many have lost the spring in their step. Over the past weeks I have had many women call me brave because I have colored some of my hair magenta (courtesy of the FAB! Color Intensity line by Joico!). I always thank them and follow up their compliment by telling them they could add some flair to their hair as well, and I am met with the same answers every time … “Oh, I couldn’t do that”, “What would people say?” or the ever present “What if I think I like blue and then once I’ve done it I hate it?!”. Well ladies, and gents, have no fear for Joico INSTATINT is here!
INSTATINT offers five FAB! shades;
- Fiery Coral (red)
- Orchid (purple)
- Sapphire Blue (a denim blue)
- Mermaid Blue ( a turquoise blue)
For all those who are a tad skeptical or a wee bit worried about adding some flair to your hair, Joico INSTATINT is your answer. Truly a no commitment color. Always dreamed of having blue hair, only to realize blue hair feels like a nightmare? No worries! Just wash it out and give the red a whirl! Yep, INSTATINT washes out in one shampoo, every time. Being me, I have compiled a quick go to list, a what’s what of INSTATINT;
- applied color lasts up to three days
- washes out in 1 shampoo
- is color safe = will not alter your existing hair color after INSTATINT is removed. Yes, it is safe for the blondest of blondes
- easy to apply! Spray onto dry hair in short bursts. I prefer not to apply heat after color is applied, so I apply color after I am done with my flat iron.
- the less you spray, the lighter the color.
- the more you spray, the color becomes more vibrant
- protect your clothing while applying the spray. Drape a towel over your shoulders.
- color only lands where you direct it
- does not stain your scalp, your hair line or your face
- layer over existing vibrant shades to perk them up or to get you through until your next color appointment.
- it is $10.45 a bottle. Yep! $10.45.
I am a week away from my color appointment and I gotta tell you, I love the Pink INSTATINT to keep my magenta looking vibrant. …I also added a touch of Mermaid Blue and Sapphire Blue because….why not 😉